Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melianthus major

Posted by ellen_z7ny Long Island (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 13:28

Can Melianthus major be grown as a foliage annual? In other words, does it grow very quickly to fill in a coleus-sized spot, not to its full size. I have no room to overwinter in a pot so it has to grow fast to work for me.
Thanks,
Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melianthus major

This plant is hardy in zones 7/8. Perhaps you could mulch the plant and hope it makes it through your winter.

Melianthus major can be propogated from stem cuttings. If you have room for a small pot, indoors, you could take a small cutting from the mother plant and try rooting it.

Hopefully, one of these methods will work for you. Good luck !!
-Sprout

o
additional info

I did a search on Melianthus major and found this info:

"...Plant this 4-6" deeper than normal to increase chances of survival for those in zonal denial or containerize and bring in for the winter. Most cut back hard in late winter to keep in vegetative mode to focus plant energy on the root."

Also, see link, below. Mentions Melianthus as a pot plant. Scroll down to 'others'. Doesn't mention pot size.

-Sprout

Here is a link that might be useful: Container plants

o
RE: Melianthus major

I took several cuttings off a Melianthus some years ago. They rooted easily despite having a hollow stem which I thought looked a bit unpromising. If you had a few small cuttings they would be easier to find space for overwintering than a big pot and would mean you could risk leaving the mother plant outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here