Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with elephant ear bulb!

Posted by clarejoe 7 (NJ) (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 21, 09 at 13:43

First timer here and I don't know which side gets planted up and which one down. Can you help?

Is it this end up:??
end with little lump
another shot
Photobucket

or this end up?
flat end

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with elephant ear bulb!

The 1st picture is the side you plant facing up.

The last picture is showing where your bulb was broken off of another bulb.

Some other advice:

- These bulbs are very prone to rotting in cool spring weather especially if the soil is too wet.
- They can take a long time to get going but once the warm weather hits they will take off. Be patient.
- If you want to get a headstart plant first in a pot. Water the soil thoroughly and place the whole pot in a clear plastic bag sealed at the top. Place in a warm sunny location. Once you see some sprouts then open the bag.
- Planting outside early in the cool ground won't speed up growth. High temps are key so it's sometimes better to wait.

Good luck

o
RE: need help with elephant ear bulb!

I agree, cold soil is a no-no. Even under the best of circumstances elephant ear tubers can take a long time to sprout so I usually start them indoors, several weeks before it's warm enough to put them out. I bury them almost all the way to the top, leaving just the tip exposed, then keeping it moist (not wet) and warm and giving it good light. Heat is the real key to getting them to sprout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here