Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summeronmymind_gw

aspidistra

summeronmymind
18 years ago

Thanks to advice from y'all, I've had great success in planting "houseplants" outside, where they have weathered the winter successfully. Last year I left several philodendron selloum plants in the ground with a little mulch, and they're returning nicely. Now, based on some of Johnnieb's photos from his garden last year, I'd like to put some aspidistra out there. I'm in 7B. My garden generally faces east (generally very sunny/part sunny) and wraps around to the south (mostly dappled shade/some strong sun). Does anyone have any experience with aspidistra? Shade or sun? I note that Johnnie's were pictured near a fatsia japonica, which I have in my garden in the south section, alongside a bear's breeches (acanthus). Does that mean I should put an aspidistra in dappled shade? How about water? All advice appreciated.

Comments (7)

• tamivileine
    18 years ago

Aspidistra are DEFINITELY shady plants. Dappled sun at most....

• aikidokap
    18 years ago

Yes, Aspidistra is known commonly as "Cast Iron plant." It got that name due to the difficulty in killing it as an indoor house plant!

It gained incredibly popularity during the Victorian era as it was one of the few houseplants that thrived in gas light.

Aspidistra can be planted in deep, deep shade and still look very dark and healthy. They use them outside my work building under deep overhangs that never get any sun.

In fact, Aspidistra will actually variagate when exposed to sun, becoming almost all yellow with flecks of green.

My problem is their expense. All nurseries around here (so cal.) want like $20 for a single plant in a 7" pot.

aiki

• the_virginian
    18 years ago

I too am trying the Philedendron in my garden this year. We shall see.

• brhgm
    17 years ago

They are practically free in the Deep South. They do best in deep shade with moderate watering, but are somewhat drought tolerant. On old-fashioned enclosed porch, they make a great plant potted in a brass spittoon. I would not expose them to strong sun, as the yellowing causes leaf decline, not variegation, as previously mentioned. There are variegated varieties with either yellow or white streaks or spots. I have to thin my cast iron plants yearly in Louisiana because they become huge clumps. You may want to try Lowes and Home Depot or WalMart, they got for about $8 a gallon.

• merryd
    17 years ago

Something to consider is winter sun for sun burning. Plants under summer shade and winter sun will look really beaten up and they don't recover with new growth quickly.

• DISSmith
    17 years ago

I have had success with Aspidistras here. I have a Hoshi Zora that was in light shade until 3 days ago when we had to have a tree removed. It's now in full sun fron 930AM to about 1PM and one of the leaves is already yellow. Anyone know if it will survive, given enough water, or will I have to move it?

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Aiki next time someone thins out their Cast Iron plants I will e-mail you and exchange address, that way I can send you some. Around here in central texas I know of 2 ladies that thins out this plant at 2 times a year. So next time I see someone doing this I will just simply get them out of the trash for you.

Sponsored