Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical hedge in a small planter?

Posted by mkt04 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 04 at 20:02

Hi, I'm very new to all this plant stuff because I've never lives in place with a backyard until now. However, I just moved into a small (very) bungalow in Venice Beach, CA. The back is actually a small deck with a sheet metal fence. I was born in Hawaii and would like to create a tropical feel, but the metal is killing my vibe. I'd like to build a small planter and put something in it that will cover much of the far wall. Because of the small space I want to keep the planter to about 12" wide, 16" high and 6' long. I was originally thinking something like Golden Goddess bamboo, but I've been told it won't work in such a small planter.

Is there any other type of plant that feels tropical that could grow to about 6' tall and cover the wall. I guess I could also do something that hung down from a planter at the top of the fence as well.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical hedge in a small planter?

Mkt04,,
From my experience I would venture to say that the bamboo would work in this container.

I have a raised core ten metal box planted with Golden Goddess bamboo and it has been doing just fine for the past several years and is showing no signs of decline ,,,, on the contrary, it is thriving and enjoying life in bondage.

Another option(s) that you may want to entertain are vines.
Perhaps Lavender star flower ' Grewia', or Bougainvillea or Tecomaria or Distictis.

Mahalo.

o

If that fence isn't already, you might want to paint it in a flat tropical colour that won't retain heat or cause it to reflect sharply into your eyes. Maybe a nice beach sand colour, so it will look like stucco..... Large-ish planters around the perimeter are a good idea. you can plant plants of varying height......cannas, bananas, small palms, hibiscus, sugar cane, bamboo or other ornamental grasses.........and compliment them with hanging plants. i built a ledge along the top of my fence and put window boxes along its length. I have everything from Thunbergia and nasturtium to rhodochiton and geranium growing in mine. Separate window boxes and planters give you an advantage.....you can re-arrange stuff periodically when some things are at their peak and others are not....or just for a change!

o

Thanks Don & Mich! I think I'm going to change my whole plan around and do a couple square planters and then do some hanging plants between the two. That should make it more interesting than just one type of plant.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here