Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nick1427d

Inground Pool plantings

nick1427d
11 years ago

Hey guys

I moved into my house 2 years ago and inherited an inground pool. The pool has been a lot of fun but the landscaping always lacked that "feel". The previous owners had a lot of holly, barberry (yea thorns on barefeet!), and well that's about it. I took out everything and have been adding a little each year.

So far I've planted a few hardy banana, hardy palms, hardy hibiscus, castor bean, many many canna, elephant ears, and a small magnolia shrub.

The pool is L-shaped and around 40000 gallons. The pool has concrete decking around it so I don't worry too much about roots, won't be planting large trees.

My inquiry is besides what I've planted is there anything else you guys recommend to bring that "tropical feel". I would prefer perennials or plants that are easily dug up. I dug up about 20 canna last year so that doesn't bother me. I'm looking for that "lush" look, prefer more foliage interesting specimens, doesn't need to flower. I can always just add more of what I've been using (which I have) just looking for more ideas

The area gets mostly sun with maybe an hour or two of shade at times in morning. Zone 6b St Louis metro

thanks a ton

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!