Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blulagoon

hardy hibiscus

blulagoon
19 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with hardy hibiscus. I want to take a small division from my mothers bush and I was wondering when to do it. Should I do it now,when it is pretty much dormant? Later,when it starts to grow? Or much later,when it has grown a bit? I was also wondering if it would bloom this year.

Comments (6)

• Meghane
    19 years ago

Get cuttings only from a growing branch. I do it in fall, just before they start to die down anyway. Then I plant it in moist rich soil and keep it sunny all winter. In the spring, I plant it. Most bloom the first year, depending on how well I remembered to care for it over the winter.

• JohnnieB
    19 years ago

I had good luck propagating from small tip cuttings in early summer. I potted them in potting soil and stuck them in a plastic bag, stuck them under fluorescent lights and they rooted and put out new growth in just a few weeks.

• blulagoon
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So, take cuttings and not divisions?

• Meghane
    19 years ago

I've never tried divisions since the cuttings work just fine. Why take chances of destroying a perfectly good root system when you can take what was going to die anyway?

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

Seems I've discussed 'dividing' them with someone else , who was worried about dividing them. I've always had luck dividing mine , but since they have very large fleshy roots that can go quite deeply, you always do some damage to the roots , when digging them for division, and sometimes those cut roots don't heal properly and can rot. However , I've lost very few of the ones I've divided regardless of the risk , but those large roots can be a challenge, if you're trying to move them with minimal damage to the old roots. I try to cut as few as possible , but then some may be 1 1/2 ft. long or longer and require a much bigger hole to replant them. I sometimes get lazy and just curl them around and bury them so they don't have to go where there are already other plants growing. I'll have to try that cutting trick, since I've not tried growing them that way before. It's a technique I've used for propagating many of my tropical plants however, and works for many types of plants.

• blulagoon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I did take some divisions,two actually, one larger than the other.The small one has croaked,I think,but the large one is putting up shoots. I think it will be ok. Who knows,the small one just might make it still(I only say that it croaked because the shoot that was coming out of it withered).
    Brian

Sponsored