Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there such a thing as hardy BOUGAINVILLEA'

Posted by jxa44 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 04 at 23:46

Hi All,

I'm enamored with bougainvilleas, but I live in an area that get frosts. BOUGAINVILLEA

Does anyone know if there's an animal "hardy bougainvilla"?

Thanx, j.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there such a thing as hardy BOUGAINVILLEA'

The purple form can take 27 degrees unharmed, 26 degrees with leaf loss but the vine itself is fine...I've heard that it is "vine hardy", not "leaf hardy" to 23-24 degrees..anything lower than that and it becomes a "perennial". If you type in hardy bougainvillea to "google.com", it'll bring up b. spectabilis, I believe, also known as hardy bougainvillea...I had thought it was called b. brasilensis, but a lady in SOFLA corrected me...if you are a 9b climate, or a 9a in a protected area, your bougie will probably do fine.

o

thanx wilminton islander!!!!!!

o

jxa44, You didn't indicate how much frost you get but most low elevation climates in California can support bougainvillea. We get some light frosts (inland SF Bay Area) and ours don't even stop blooming! They are extremely vigorous. We have "San Diego Red" and some pink one and they are great.

o

Thanx kerrican2001,

we actually live in an area in northern california that gets frequent hard frosts (and in feb it is not uncommon for it to snow).

I am drawn to plants that don't do well in our cold winters -- so I guess I'll be doing a lot of winter protecting.

why is it that I always want to grow plants that my micro climate doesn't easily support? ;-)

o

i lived in Santa Rosa and grew them trained against the house// most winters they froze back ,,but they would bloom on the new wood

i planted a bunch of them in groups of threes ,, that way at least you had some leaves if they all froze back and had to recover

san diego red and the common purple one are the hardiest .... texas sunset hates the cold , but is beautiful
good luck

o

Thanks for all these great feedback! I'm researching to make my purchase of my favourite bougies. Is there a good source for mail order? I live in Ontario Canada. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here