Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Heliconia?

Posted by littlegiles1 8a SC (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 11:29

Hi everyone.

I was recently told by a friend that there are some heliconia that are doable in SC. I have some white butterfly gingers that I love because they come back each year. Are there Heliconia that will die back in winter and return in the spring? Perhaps some different colorful gingers that will work as well.

My tropical paradise is quickly becoming mostly elephant ears with an occasional fern thrown in.

Thanks!

- Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Heliconia?

The Heliconia schiedeana is hardy and it dies back and regrows each year. Also, it is easy to grow from seed. I got some seeds from the L.A. County Arboretum, where they have a lot of this heliconia, and they grew for me.

I also have a blue ginger in my back yard, and it regrows each year, even though there is never a frost where I live, but it might not be a true ginger.

Lars

o

Thanks Lars. I will look into both of those.

-Dale

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 14:54

Heliconia Schiedeana only blooms on second year growth so if they get frosted during the winter, it won't bloom. I've had this heliconia in the ground for 11 years and it's only bloomed once after an extremely mild winter. I don't protect it at all. You would have to erect some sort of temporary protection over it or container grow it for you to see blooms. However, the leaves definitely give you the tropical look.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here