Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_virginian

VPS Spring Meeting

the_virginian
16 years ago

Please e-mail me privately if you would like to attend the Spring meeting of the Virginia Palm Society, in Alexandria, Virginia on Sunday May 20, 2007 at 10am. I will give you details and an invite. We are a fellowship group that discusses growing cold hardy palms and cold hardy tropicals and even tropicals. It will be at a resturant, so seating is limited.

Comments (9)

• palm_fan
    16 years ago

sounds interesting but what is a fellowship group?

• thistle5
    16 years ago

maybe a meeting of like-minded people? I grow some tropicals as annuals, try to overwinter others, practice 'zone-denial' by trying to put plants that would not normally be hardy in protected &/or well-drained locations....

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that is basically what it is and this last meeting was a great success. We welcomed new members and even had a plant swap.

• palm_fan
    16 years ago

sorry, fellowship group made it sound like a religious thing, I'm not looking for a religious group

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It isn't a religious group and fellowship is not a exclusively a religious term by any means. We exchange information, have garden tours and swap plants and seeds. We are going to have a publication called FRONDS in the near future.

• thistle5
    16 years ago

I'm sorry I'm missed meeting y'all, maybe I'll make the next meeting. I think my windmill palm is not doing well, there are spots on the fronds & the center spears pulled out easily. I sprayed it w/ Neem, any other ideas?

Most of the figs overwintered successfully, only lost one I think. Can figs, palms, & bananas all coexist in the same bed? I think the bananas need the most water & figs the least, w/ palms in the middle-I'm trying to set up a soaker hose to suit them.

I have a few EEs sprouting, but I usually leave them in the pot, a new musa basjoo (last years didn't make it) & a musella lasiocarpa to add, & also a couple of hedychium (Dr. Moy & Luna Moth)-do these need some shade in our climate, tucked behind some other plants maybe?

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thistle5:

I will let everyone who is interested when the next meeting will be. You are more than welcome to attend.

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thiste5: Yes, all that stuff can exist in the same bed and we are going to have a lecture for the VPS later next month and we will address this in detail.

• thistle5
    16 years ago

Thanks, please let me know about the meeting, I'll try & make it this time. I have a project planned for this weekend, I bought a Mr. Landscaper starter kit, patio & potted plant kit, & a timer, & I'm going to try & figure out how to set it up. I think if I can simplify watering the beds surrounding the house, I can move all the soaker hoses I currently have out to the perimeter & water that way-I'm tired of being the 'sprinkler queen', out at 6 in the morning, positioning hoses...

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area