Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EE's and Fertilizers

Posted by staceybeth 5 or 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 11:33

Hi All,

I have 3 EE's, Black Magic, Giant Gree and a Lime Zinger. The black magic is just a baby but the two others are about 4.5 feet tall. All my plants are in containers (due to ledge in my yard). I have planted all of them in Miracle grow flower and shrub mix with some phagnum peetmoss to retain moister...

My question is, how often do I have to fertilize, since the MG has fertilizer in it?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EE's and Fertilizers

Good question! I would think that since they'll need to be watered a LOT in containers, you'll probably need to boost the fertilizer more than usual. I'd probably follow fertilizer directions and water/fert once every couple weeks, or 'weakly, weekly' as they say. Make sure your containers have good drainage though.

o

Thanks Dave! Even though they are in Miracle Grow I should still fert. every 2-3 weeks? Also, how much is enough water for these beauties? I dont want to overwater? Right now its raining out...and I watered 2 days ago. I have ordered some glass globe water feeders in hopes to help them too.

o

Hi Staceybeth,

How big do you want your EE's??

I've been growing Black Magic and common green EE's for a couple years. I grow primarily for size. When growing from bulbs these plants usually start late in the season. They need quite a bit of heat to get going.

I grow mine in full sun or morning sun. I water the heck out of them. I really don't think you can over-water them if they are getting full sun and lots of heat.

I fertilize "lightly" with Miracle Grow 24-8-16 once every 7-10 days.

These plants can get HUGE if you water and fertilize diligently all summer.

o

Hi Sunset... right now, I have had to replant my ee's due to wet and cold conditions... I dont want the roots to rot. I used Moisture control Miracle Grow with a bunch of perlite. I use Osmocote (i think) 16/8/19 somthing like that... its slow release as well. I also have glass watering globes for all of them.

o
My black magic is dying

My Black Magic is dying.. what do I do? Will it grow back.

I bought it a couple of weeks ago its just a baby with two leaves on it.. one fell off and it just looks like its going to die.. any advise?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here