Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with canna layout!!

Posted by lee53011 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 6, 06 at 15:17

I have started planting my new tropical bed and was wondering how many canna and how close they should be to look good. The bed is about 60' long by 12' or so wide. I have two musa basjoo bananas and will plant red castor beans, hardy hibiscus, black magic elephant ears, etc. Right now I have about 10 or 12 red canna and 3 or so yellow canna. Want to spread them out as much as possible and still look good. I am in zone 5 so will have to dig them up. Not sure what cultivar as I grew them from traded seed. Any help?

Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with canna layout!!

It's generally recommended that canna tubers be planted 12-18 inches apart, though in cooler climates where they'll be dug up each year and are less susceptible to disease, a bit closer planting is probably going to be OK. Spacing also depends on the variety (dwarf hybrids can tolerate tighter spacing than the giants).

Here's a recent GW discussion on the subject (note the regional differences).

o

O.K. I get the spacing. Thanks for that! But what about the look. Better to have 1 group of 10 plants together or two groups of 5 or some other variation? I can buy more if I have to. Not looking for the jungle look, want some room to see individual groupings.

Thanks,
Lee

o

Massing makes for a more impressive show. I'd look at 10 tubers as a minimum number. Of course, if you're more interested in having a wide variety, you can group smaller numbers of several different kinds which have compatible growth/flowering. It's a matter of taste, but you might want to avoid having 5 cannas over here, then some other ornamental, then another small clump of cannas etc.

o

Eric thanks for the info. I went out and bought another 10 last week. Also a bunch of the sun coleus, gunnera, japanese blood grass, and about another $100 worth of stuff. Only went for the canna's but you know what happens when you get in the nursery!!

Lee

o

Ooh, Japanese blood grass, that sounds cool! I notice you're in zone 5 too. Is that hardy to our zone?

o

It is hardy to -10, so I will need to mulch it somewhat. I grow alot of stuff that is outside zone 5 as perennials, some just need a little help through the really bad days. Even some stuff that says zone 5 is marginal without help.

Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here