Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planted Musa Basjoo. Curious about health

Posted by tikigardener 5/6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 15:36

Hi,
I just bought 2 musa basjoos about 2 weeks ago. Planted in the ground with the soil it came in, ground soil and potting soil. I see a new leaf coming out on both but the leaves that were there when purchased are so droopy. I just want to make sure it doesn't die!! Is this normal? Maybe it's just adjusting from greenhouse conditions to outside conditions? From what I've read on here they are pretty hardy but I really want to be sure they thrive! Any suggestions? I've been watering every other day or so in addition to the water it gets from the sprinklers. Theres some mulch around it lightly and miracle grow once a week or so.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planted Musa Basjoo. Curious about health

It just may be that the leaves it previously had were developed indoors/in the greenhouse. Sometimes this may mean they are a bit floppy and subject to breakage and drooping. There was likely no wind inside the greenhouse and if the light wasn't that bright, sometimes the leaves are thinner and more subject to breaking/flopping. The new leaves coming, in the bright sun of outdoors, will probably be stronger and look nicer.

On the subject of watering, you mention you water every other day. I know they say bananas love moisture but be careful not to over do the watering, let it dry out somewhat inbetween waterings, especially if the weather is still cool (wet soil and cold temperatures could rot the plant.)

Glen

o
RE: Planted Musa Basjoo. Curious about health

I'm betting it will recover nicely. They are extremely hardy plants during the summer months.

See my "I've killed ever musa basjoo" thread for overwintering help, though. :-/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here