Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Garden featured in local newspaper

JohnnieB
18 years ago

My garden is featured in this month's issue of a local community newspaper, DC North. The writer got a few small facts wrong (like the name of my street!) but overall she did a good job with it and she was enthusiastic about the subject. When she interviewed me in March there was almost nothing growing or blooming in the garden--fortunately she had seen my online photo albums, and was able to include one of my own photos from last year when the garden was at its peak.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden article (pdf)

Comments (7)

• jayferg
    18 years ago

That is a great article. Congrats!!

• thistle5
    18 years ago

Great writeup!, I'm sure you're inspired now to go out & do some new stuff, it sounds like a wonderful garden already, but it's fun to tinker...

I'm interested in your bananas & palms, I live a bit south of you, near Mt. Vernon, & just planted a tiny banana, that overwintered indoors (the kind you buy in the grocery store, marked 'Banana Splitz') outside , with lots of manure & humus, mixed with my clay soil, outside. I'm going to go looking for needle & windmill palms, & I've already put out lots of coleus & cannas (probably before it was warm enough for them).

It's a challenge, adding a garden to a traditional colonial (not messing with the front, mostly lawn & slate-edged beds)& trying to do some more tropical stuff in the back-it's heavily shaded by trees (& I want to save the south exposure for a greenhouse, eventually)-& I've just gotten into orchids & moved some dendrobiums outside, which the squirrels promptly chewed...

I love your garden & hope that you enjoy working with it this spring...Thistle/Linda

• watergal
    18 years ago

Nice writeup!

• summeronmymind
    18 years ago

What a nice writeup, and an inspirational picture. Are those pink feathery plants the red hot pokers? Anyway, congrats!

• lawnandleaf
    18 years ago

Go to holly woods and vines in mt vernon neare 235 and route 1 . There you will now find 30 - 40 windmills of all different heights. They also have washingtonia and queen palms. The place is on the left going south.

• JohnnieB
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The red-hot pokers don't show in this photo. The pink spiky things are plumes of an ornamental grass, Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry' (it is supposed to be much darker but this cultivar has probably been grown from seed and much watered down). There are also some cleome in the photo, which don't show up very clearly.

Here's a slightly better version of the same photo (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden photo

• JudieR
    18 years ago

Johnnie, Your garden is beautiful. I've looked at all the pictures several times and I like that you add comments. Can you tell me,please, what the big red flower is that looks like a hibiscus? I want one, whatever it is! I also loved the "shady corner". Motivating!!!!!!
    Judie in Mississippi

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996