Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus lyrata (fiddleleaf fig) outside for the summer?

Posted by glen3a Wpg MB 3A (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 04 at 16:06

My neighbor had a tropical theme by buying two palm trees and having them in pots on her deck, last summer. I wanted to do something similar but dont want to directly copy her. What about Ficus Lyrata (Fiddle leaf fig), would it be suitable to grow outside, in a pot for the summer? My only concern is that, being a fig, it would be finicky and lose all its leaves while getting accustomed to outside. What about a rubber plant? I just want a tropical plant say, from the walmart plant section, that I can pot up and keep outside for the summer. Don't want anything too expensive in case it doesn't work out.

I also have hardy yucca, cannas, and paulownia which I will use to try to create a tropics theme.

Thanks and Regards,
Glen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus lyrata (fiddleleaf fig) outside for the summer?

Glen,

I have found that almost all "houseplants" do well outside in summer. They seem to thrive in the heat and humidity.

Buy cheap plants and experiment, you'll be surprised at what you can do !1

if you want some ideas check out my tropicals from last summer in the link below.

Boca Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Boca Joe's Tropicals

o

• Posted by ARAD 10USDA/25SUNSET (My Page) on
    Thu, May 13, 04 at 22:05

Ficus Lyrata makes an excelent indoor plant. Go ahead, buy one.

o

I've had a Fiddleleaf Fig for about 2 months now. I planted it in a new pot with good potting soil. The leaves look really healthy, but the inside area of the leaf "junction" exhibits a black tip. Is this the new leaf growth area? Is it a too much water or not enough water issue?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here