Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant elephant ear (Colocasia gigantea) watering needs

Posted by tropicgal 8b CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 17:46

I think this would be cool to plant but am afraid of going bankrupt from the water bills (San Diego irrigation is not cheap). Anyone have experience watering this beast?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant elephant ear (Colocasia gigantea) watering needs

While water is important, I'd say some quality soil and partial shade will make the biggest difference. Organically rich, moisture retentive soil will give you more bang-for-the-buck with water, especially if your soil or your pot is mulched over after a really good dousing.

With some afternoon or partial shade and a quality growing medium, you shouldn't have to water more than once a week, though watering a bit more often wouldn't hurt at all.

o

Fully agreed, no amount if water in so cal will help a Thai giant that's in direct sun, here I only let mine get morning sun, dig out a good big hole 3' across maybe, and a foot or 2 deep, replace it with half rich organic humus, maybe even some soilmoist or similar product, and half native soil, mulch it good and stand back!
Lots of fertilizer too, start weak and work up, I'd add fert every week, assuming the plant is doing well, if its hurtin, fertilizer will only kill it fast.
Some must at night might help too, and or early morning.
Oh and it needs some room to spread its wings! In your extended season, if it does well , u could easily see a 10' foot tall 8-12' wide beast!
There was one here in ky that got 12' tall last year...

o

How could I have forgotten!
A more suitable choice for that climate may well be some of the new hybrids released by briansbotanicals!
Noble gigante
Dragon heart
And... Future releases!
I don't know how these handle the lower humidity, I do know these 2 can handle much more sun than the Thai giant, and can still achieve massive size! As one parent is Thai giant, under differnt light the leaves may be green purple black in varies shades and hues, some bright, others dusty, usually combinations of all those, and the future releases he's got under trial look great!
There's also jacks giant, it's a super sized regular colocasia esculenta, it still wants some shade but may do very well for you
I'd order directly from his site. I'm sure he can help answer how to best grow them there too
Best of luck, whatever you chose u can't go wrong, amazing plants!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here