Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical looking, NON deciduous trees?

Posted by calaforlorn So Cal (My Page) on
Thu, May 27, 10 at 18:27

I've looked thru a ton of previous postings and I can't find anythig pertaining to my problem...

I am looking for a tree that looks tropical (or IS) that will stay green throughout Southern California winters (ha-ha!) and will be a good screen for a blinding white, plastic fence!

I need to screen the fence AND the neighbor's bedroom window! :O What is there that will stay green and full year round?

I would like to eventually plant trops under them in the shade...

I've ripped out the bananas that were there; they became too old and the stumps surrounded by pups looks crummy to me. There's no room to plant undergrowth w/ all those stumps! Not to mention the leaves get shredded by the smallest winds that always seem to whisper by...wimps.

I have giant birds at the other end, so I don't want more.
I was thinking of bamboo, but I'd prefer something w/ a rounder top. Magnolias don't seem right.

Palms seem too naked on their bottoms and will not grow for me in this backyard! I've tried all types...can't get them to make it. Except, of COURSE, the good ole Mexican Fan palm that is now about a billion feet tall! I swear, I'll have to install a red blinking light for aircraft... what good is all that green way up there?

What's a girl to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical looking, NON deciduous trees?

If you don't mind having fruit on the tree some of the year, a Loquat is a great, tropical-looking tree which retains its leaves year round.

-Brett

o

@Brettay - does the loquat tree also provide ample shade?

o

Loquats are quite densely foliated with large, dark-green, tropical looking foliage. In that sense they would provide excellent shade. On the other hand, they are not large trees and reach a maximum height of around 20 feet or so. It would obviously take a while for them to reach that height. Do a quick internet search for loquats and see if you like the look.

-Brett

o

a fig tree?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here