Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmcitrusbananava

Looking for some tropical plants

palmcitrusbananava
13 years ago

I have an area around my pool where I would like to put a tropical looking plant that does not get taller than a foot (preferably lower than a foot). It needs to be able to take some salt spray. It will be in a semi-covered area in the back of our house. Anyone got any ideas? Some thing that will go well with what we have in that area. As of now we have windmill palms, Musa bajoo banana plants, pindo palm, a few ornamental grasses, pink verbenas, cannas, and other flowing plants in pots. Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• palmcitrusbananava
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to add i also have several hibiscus and a few different types of groundcover.

• palmcitrusbananava
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anybody?

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

There are dwarf cannas that get up to about 2 feet. If your looking for something thats only a foot tall or under, Im going to guess you are probably looking for a groundcover type of thing. Variegated vinca vines always do great for me. Sometimes they suffer from some dieback but they are more than hardy. In warm winters they will flower in january. One year it snowed in january WHILE it was flowering! Whether they die back in the winter or not, they come back better than every in the spring with blooms. They get to about 6 or 7 inches in height but the actual stems get many feet long. Its usually best when they do die back a little because it keeps them looking neat. One year went to 5F and they died back but came up great.
    With protection, saw palmettos are a good option. They stay small and the blue ones will especially make for a nice effect. They probably get up to the 3 foot range though.
    Can you post a pic of the area where you want to plant because that would make chosing the right plant easier.

Good luck!

• palmcitrusbananava
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Something to replace the ice plants on the side of the pool. They are just really uneven (one side of the pool has 3 purple and 1 yellow the other has just one purple "the yellow started growing over the purple> ). Planning to move those to another place. So, I guess i should of said 6 inches because I don't want it to be extremely large and overgrow that spot.

[IMG]http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq13/zach277/IMG_0196.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry for the late response.

thanks for the help

zach

• palmcitrusbananava
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

There is a plant called a purple heart plant that might look good there. It would really give lots of color and stays small. With mulch they can come back in a zone 7 but they grow fast so if you save a lot of cuttings and bring the cuttings indoors before frost, you should have plenty to replant it next year. They would do great in-front of begonias or geraniums which you would have to replant every year (but there are both hardy begonias and hardy geraniums if you dont want to replant them so you can chose which one you prefer in that spot.

Good luck!

• frompa2fl_in9b
    13 years ago

Depending where you live purple heart may be hard to find. I might suggest wandering jew. It grows quickly and roots easily. Great for taking cuttings and doesnot grow too high.

• palmcitrusbananava
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help!!

Sponsored