Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prune gangley angel trumpet plants

Posted by jimhokie 7a/7b (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 20:43

I have several potted angel trumpets that were rather neglected inside over the winter. Between lack of watering and a mite infestation, the plants had almost completely defoliated. I took them back outside a few weeks ago, sprayed, feed, and watered them, and now they are growing much foliage, and even a few flower buds already. But they are basically tall (~4') stalks with a small group of leaves and short branches at the very top, and the full length of the trunk covered with small shoots. My question is, should I prune out some of the shoots to allow the remaining branches to grow out better? If so, how many to prune out and how many to leave? I.e, should I prune off every other one, or leave every third one, etc.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prune gangley angel trumpet plants

Hi Jimhokie,
Brugmansia can be shaped however you want. Some grow one tall main trunk and others have several trunks growing out of the base. You could certainly remove all the leaves and shoots from the bottom of the trunk and have it shaped like a standard.I remove leaves if I have time, if not, oh well!LOL Hope I helped. Theresa

Here are a few photos of mine. All different shapes.
Overwintered Plants~New Trop.Garden~~Filling in
Tropical Garden- April 2010Tropical Garden- April 2010Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Yes, Theresa, that helped. I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be bushier or more just top growth on stalks, like my plumerias. I stripped most of the trunks, so hopefully more energy will go into the top growth.

Thanks!

o

You're welcome!

Theresa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here