Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planted 3 brugs and in between them I planted 2 banana trees

Posted by jean_mdc z 4/5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 22:42

Hi to all...

I need your help....We are by Albany NY...zone 4/5...I planted 3 brugs and in between them I planted 2 banana trees. They get sun....but they also get that late, hot afternoon sun...they are in a row along my walkway where we enter the house. What can I put around them to create a long beautiful bed that will complement the brugs and bananas, will take that hot sun but also look spectacular?

Thanks....Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planted 3 brugs and in between them I planted 2 banana trees

Maybe daturas, cannas, elephant ears, some caladiums, Hibiscus moscheutos, lantanas, four o' clocks, portulacas, coleus, petunias, or even monardas would work. There are lots of options, depending on water, color schemes, flower/foliage contrast preferences, fragrance preferences, overwintering preferences, etc.

o

Oh, and of course things like lilies, yuccas, etc. might also be complementary and sun-tolerant.

o

Arecales

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I do use daturas, cannas, elephant ears, caladiums, and coleus in my gardens and still have quite a few on hand that I haven't dragged out of the basement yet.

I did think of coleus but I was afraid they would not be able to take that much sun.

Thanks again......Jean

PS If you think of anything else, please let me know!

I wanted it to look real tropical

o

Brugs generally do not like hot afternoon sun, they do best in morning sun with afternoon shade, so if it's not too late, try and reposition them, although I'm not sure how hot it gets where they are planted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here