Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Anyone protect a Crepe Myrtle TREE in zone 6?

poaky1
9 years ago

I could post in the tree forum, but will try here first. Could you "dry pack" one in straw and prevent water coming in all winter in zone 6? I know not all winters will be brutal, but could it survive that treatment, guesses are welcome.

Comments (13)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

You can build a wire cage and stuff it full of anything- straw, leaves, etc. Just remember that it will pack down and you'll need to add more mid winter.
    All that limits you is the size of your tree.

I think this past winter scared us all- I have multiple old Crape Myrtles in my neighborhood, so clearly they usually survive.
    Don't freak out and feel like you have to cage everything just because one winter went wonky.

I think that if we learned anything it would be to site them a bit more carefully and make sure they are somewhat protected from winter winds.

This post was edited by cearbhaill on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 8:42

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cearbhaill, I really would love for you to tell me, how was the wi nter of 2013-2014 so much worse than other winters in the past 8-10 winters ago?

• poaky1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My seven-son-flower shrub has surprised me and cracked. There are leaves in the upper area, but the trunk is cracked, ready to fall on the ground. I just may replace it with a Crepe.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry guys, I just realized how stupid my post was. Seven -son-flower shrub is supposed to be hardier than Crepe Myrtle. poaky1

• rusty_blackhaw
    8 years ago

I haven't tried to establish tree crepes here in zone 6a. I have multiple crepe shrubs. In mild winters most of the wood survives and sprouts new growth in spring. The past couple of winters with lows down in the minus-teens, everything dies back to the ground.

Under good growing conditions, there are still plenty of flowers.

I have a feeling that the right cultivar and careful siting are what are needed to establish tree forms in marginal climates.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There is a Burgundy colored Crepe Myrtle at a Lowe's here, the tag says zone 6. My Seven sons flower is disappointing, I may get rid of it, and possibly try the Burgundy Crepe, can't remember the name of it.

• josephene_gw
    8 years ago

Poaky

You could put a light bulb, enclosed in a cage of course, under the tree on

The worst days/nights, a wire cage stuffed with straw, first.

• josephene_gw
    8 years ago

My friend has one in her front yard here in z5 need to find out what kind.

• subtropix
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here are some pics.

I

• subtropix
    8 years ago

First pic is Catawba.

2nd pic is Catawba with two Dynamite Red

Third is the Dwarf Hopi

• Audrey Chambers
    3 years ago

I'm in zone 6 and never had had to protect my crape myrtles. They are HARDY!

• poaky1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Audrey, what varieties do you have? Also, what lows have yours done great through? I have seen -12F as a low since I have been watching low temps here in SW Pa, also, where are you? My area has seen MUCH lower than -12F BUT not for a good while. IF you don't want to get too specific about where you are just tell me what your Crapes have seen as a low. This past winter was a zone 7b winter for me, very rare. Thanks for your reply :)

Sponsored