Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone protect a Crepe Myrtle TREE in zone 6?

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 0:04

I could post in the tree forum, but will try here first. Could you "dry pack" one in straw and prevent water coming in all winter in zone 6? I know not all winters will be brutal, but could it survive that treatment, guesses are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone protect a Crepe Myrtle TREE in zone 6?

You can build a wire cage and stuff it full of anything- straw, leaves, etc. Just remember that it will pack down and you'll need to add more mid winter.
All that limits you is the size of your tree.

I think this past winter scared us all- I have multiple old Crape Myrtles in my neighborhood, so clearly they usually survive.
Don't freak out and feel like you have to cage everything just because one winter went wonky.

I think that if we learned anything it would be to site them a bit more carefully and make sure they are somewhat protected from winter winds.

This post was edited by cearbhaill on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 8:42

o

Cearbhaill, I really would love for you to tell me, how was the wi nter of 2013-2014 so much worse than other winters in the past 8-10 winters ago?

o

My seven-son-flower shrub has surprised me and cracked. There are leaves in the upper area, but the trunk is cracked, ready to fall on the ground. I just may replace it with a Crepe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here