Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needle palm protection in zone 6

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 0:44

I will post a pic of the palm in a day or 2. I am hoping for help on how big to make the styrofoam winter home for it that will last at least 3 winters. It will get wider than tall likely.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needle palm protection in zone 6

My needle palms all saw 9F last Winter with no damage, I don't protect them at all here.
They are pretty amazing.

o

Crispy, Let's switch hardiness zones, even just for winter, sound like a plan? I'm joking, but that would be great. My last winter was really horrible. I forgot to take the palm picture. Last winter here, I had 8 separate prolonged -10 F day/nights. I had 3 "late drop" live oak trees that did great the previous winter, in zone 6 Pa, my yard. Last winter killed the main plant, and they came up from the lower trunk. Even in a normal winter, I will protect my needle palm. Crispy, did you have a colder than normal winter last winter? That's 2013-2014. Mine wasn't too horrible til late Feb, into March maybe early April. March was what I believe did things in.

o

You obviously "win" the Winter horror story contest.
The temperature got down to 9F one night and a handful of low teens in Jan/Feb.
The previous 5 years or so the low was around 11F, but even then, not as prolonged as last Winter.

There was a late freeze that killed all the blossoms on my peach trees.

I love those needle palms though, I bought another last weekend and planted it. That makes 5 I have.

o

Okay, Crispy and anyone else, I FINALLY remembered to take a pic of the Needle palm. It's in a raised bed by the main entrance door to our house. There are also some other plants.  photo DSC00400_zpsc423ea62.jpg Most plants are forward because rain rarely gets the back.

o

Somehow my Calla Lillies survived last (brutal) winter in the ground. You can see the Callas foliage, it is closest to the camera.

o

Is that a South facing wall? All that brick ought to help store some sun warmth for the nights and keep those plants a bit safe than ones out in the open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here