Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What plant is this?

Posted by palmcitrusbananavaz7 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 1:39

Anyone know he orange foliage plant in the middle?

And what about the green vine here:

And what about the dark purple vine on this pot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What plant is this?

#1 croton
#2 sweetpotatoe vine
#3 purple sweetpotatoe vine

o

Thanks so much : )

o

• Posted by glen3a Winnipeg MB 3A (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 0:57

Croton comes in different leaf shapes and different colorations. Definitely very striking and useful in pots or even flower beds for something different.

The sweet potato vine is so easy to grow. The limey green one may be 'marguerite' and the purple one may be 'purple hearts' or 'ace of spades' though there are a few cultivars out there.

They form a tuber under the soil which can be overwintered indoors else the plant roots readily (and quickly) from cuttings placed in water.

o

The light green and dark purple are sweet potato vines, there is also a dark green version that I've seen.

I actually have the dark green and the light green version. I haven't had a chance to take a cutting of the purple type yet.

They root extremely easy. I just took a cutting and stuck it in moist soil and then in approximately a week or two it had roots and is growing well.

My wife eats the tops (leaves) in soup.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here