Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Hibiscus in zone 6

poaky1
10 years ago

I added onto Arctictropicals post above but I should have added my own post. My hibiscus is zone 8 hardy and I am in zone 6. Arctictropical mulches heavily and has gotten good results in zone 4. I really just want to know, in zone 6, do I need to wrap the branches besides mulching the roots? Should I protect the top or just worry about the root system?

Comments (10)

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

What sort of Hibiscus is rated hardy to zone 8?

In my experience tropical hibiscus are considered lower zone 9 hardy at best, suffering significant damage even with light frosts. On the other hand, "hardy hibiscus" (various species) often come back each spring in colder climates (easily encompassing zone 6) without mulching, though above ground growth is killed back. I have a white-flowered species that dies back to the ground each year but currently has 2-3 foot shoots growing.

• tropicalzone7
    10 years ago

Try some kopper king hibiscus. They are hardy to at least zone 5 and have BEAUTIFUL blooms and foliage. They are late to come up in the spring though (mine start sprouting in late May/Early June) so don't lose hope on them if it takes a while in the spring for you to see them. Here's a few pics of mine...

Good luck!
    -Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: My Plant Blog!

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a zone 8 hardy Hibiscus blooming here in zone 6. I will overwinter it in the basement or greenhouse.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Hibiscis is pink and burgundy. I will surely need it in the basement for the coldest part of winter. My greenhouse is 6X8 unheated. I have 2 doghouse heaters which I may employ in early spring though.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Hibiscis was labeled zone 8 hardy on it's tag. I bought it from WAL_MART not a nursery. They had Oleanders labeled zone 8 also. I doubt that is correct, but not sure. My Hibiscus is in a pot but is blooming great. I think basement in winter is best, a low of 55 F in winter. I am glad to see all of the new varieties available here. Our Lowes has many tropical this year. Never before available. But of course must be potted.

• bill_ri_z6b
    10 years ago

There are so many beautiful hardy hibiscus varieties that I don't bother with the tropical, except maybe as house plants. The hardy ones are fine in zone 6 and some maybe even zone 5.
    This is "Lord Baltimore" and the color is as dazzling as any tropicals that I've seen. The flowers are larger, too, maybe 9-10 inches across!

{{gwi:5901}}

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My friend has a Kopper king LOOKING hibiscus by her deck, I forgot to ask her about it. It's in the ground, so is either hardy or she planted in spring of 2013. She is literally at the foot of the mountains around here in Pa. The 2 southern Magnolias I gave her and planted are doing fine.

• sandy0225
    10 years ago

there are many many hardy hibiscus. I have sold at least 20 different kinds at my greenhouse over the years. That being said they are perfectly hardy here in z 5. I do love my tropical though because it blooms all summer long as opposed to the hardy ones that just bloom july-frost.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandy, Mine have blooms AT LEAST July- whenever frost will be. I am assuming mine will stop at first frost, Well, I should put it in the greenhouse, I would think. It is hard to imagine what a zone 8 hardy plant will endure in zone 8. I heard from a guy in zone 8 it actually got down to 19 F for Several hours in his tent in zone 8.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have moved my Hibiscus inside for now. How low of temps can I let it remain outside and still live? It had so many buds still ready to bloom when I took it in last week.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living