Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
taking the plunge

Posted by sandy_8no coastal z8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 10:15

(questions at bottom if you don't want to read my ramblings)
I have always wanted a tropical garden and this forum has inspired me.

I grow everything in my garden from seed. Now I have some fatsia and fanpalms sitting in my window. Still waiting on trachycarpus and bananas.

I planted them late because my falls are nicer than my springs. I thought I could take them out on the nice days and bring them in on cloudy cooler days. I didn't want them to try and survive on my harsh windowsill for months.

I am hoping to over winter them in my frost free greenhouse with some added light. This feature hasn't been put together yet. Waiting for vaccation to have the time.

I have no idea if this will work but it is the best I can do. I think it's better to try and fail than never try.

My questions:

How long for the trachys to germinate? I read they needed the about the same temp as the fatsia.(20f) The fastia has all germinated and I'm getting impatient.

Is it true they can be kept outside with mulch? The bananas too?

How much mulch? I mean do I need to wrap them up then bury them in a few feet of mulch?

thank you in advance
sandy

P.S. I love all the pictures of your gardens. I only wish there were more!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: taking the plunge

Trachys have been good germinators for me at 75-80F in about 4 weeks. If you are growing Musa Basjoo/Japanese Snow Bananas, they will be fine with a 3 inch layer of mulch. I am not certain about other bananas being hardy even in Zone 8.

o
RE: taking the plunge

So far, I have had really good luck with Saba bananas here in Dallas. They get huge in the growing season! This is my third year for them. I mulched heavily, and removed the mulch about April something, don't remember exactly. Like all bananas, fertilize heavily and keep well watered.

Really like them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here