Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_white66

fertilizing questions

Elizabeth White
15 years ago

Hi Folks!

I grow many tropicals--all in containers on my concrete patio. I'm setting up a drip watering system this year, and I'm hoping for fabulous, lush growth. I realize I'm going to need plenty of fertilizer for the best growth. I've searched through old posts and printed out boca joe's plan (as of 2003).

I have many different plants, and it's simplest to feed them all the same fertilizer, but I'm willing to use different ones to maximize growth. Right now I've been using Miracle Grow and mixing it to different strengths for different plants. A good gardening friend suggested using MG at 4x the strength for outdoor plants for my brugmansias. Sure enough, that seems to work well--I haven't burned them at all, but maybe even more would be better?

So I could keep using MG, and perhaps using it more frequently. I was feeding once a week, but it looks like boca joe's plan was every 3 days or so with the MG, in addition to other fertilizing.

What do y'all think of the slow-release fertilizers--so you're not applying every 3 days or so?

Has anyone else tried boca joe's formula? Any other fertilizing plans that are working well?

thanks!

Elizabeth

Comments (7)

• sunsetsammy
    15 years ago

Hi,

I used Boca Joe's plan last summer (minus the milorganite) and I felt I had some pretty amazing results considering I didn't get a whole lot of good growing temperatures.

I hear milorganite by the shovelfull is the secret to get things huge. I believe it would be considered slow release.

Anyhow, I will be supplementing that program with milorganite this summer. (If summer ever gets here!)

• sprout_wi
    15 years ago

Milorganite is the bomb !!
    -Sprout

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

I think the secret to getting tropical plants huge is fertilizer, period. (Although hot weather and regular watering make a big difference too!) I can't really comment on Milorganite as I've never used it, but I can say that I've grown many plants very successfully without it, including many tropicals. I suspect the value of Milorganite is that it's low in nutrients, compared to the chemical fertilizers like Miracle-Gro, and the nutrients release more slowly so it can be applied heavily with less chance of burning plants. With chemical fertilizers like Miracle Gro, more is NOT necessarily better. You can easily stunt or burn your plants by fertilizing too heavily.

But what fertilizer you use, and how often, also depends on what you're growing. Certain tropicals, but especially the fast-growing, big-leafed ones grown mainly for foliage like bananas, cannas, and elephant ears, respond enthusiastically to frequent and heavy fertilization with a high-nitrogen fertilizer. For slower-growing plants and especially for the ones grown mainly for their flowers (like brugs), I would fertilize less heavily, with a fertilizer that's lower in nitrogen.

• annebert
    15 years ago

I use bone meal when potting for lots of P with less N. This year I plan to topdress with horse manure, which is readily available to me. For the leafy guys, I'll use more fish emulsion.

• Elizabeth White
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• watergal
    15 years ago

I love the slow release fertilizers. I work some into the soil in the spring. For the really heavy feeders, like banana and canna, I supplement with some liquid MiracleGro when I get around to it, which isn't very often.

My life is so busy, the Osmocote is a godsend.

• sandy0225
    15 years ago

I'm using timed release on a lot of my perennials for sale this year, heavy feeders get more, light feeders/younger smaller plants less. Then they all get watered with the sprinkler and timer. Seems to be working well so far.