Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant yucca

Posted by watergal z6/7 MD (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 04 at 11:46

Does anyone know how big the tallest flower spike normally is on a hardy yucca? I have one in my yard that I got from a "free, you dig" ad. This is the second or third year I have owned it and the first year for a bloom. The flower stalk is a good 9 or 10 feet tall!! The plant itself is maybe 2 feet in diameter and height.

Any clue as to what kind of yucca this is? My husband calls it my "mutant asparagus", because that's just what the flower stalk looked like before the buds got big.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant yucca

It is possibly yucca aloifolia, they have long stalks on top of tall plants. They may be hardy there, I'm not sure. If it is a low growing clump of yucca its possibly filamentosa they are very hardy. It could also be rostrata, recurvifolia, and maybe a few others. Their are so many diffrent types of yucca that it would be hard to tell exactly which one you have without a picture. most seem to have pretty long flower stalks, some longer than others. Filamentosa usually has stalks about 6' high on average. maybe you can do a search on the web under the the species names I provided and find the one you have.

o

Definitely not recurvifolia. Doesn't always do well in Maryland, from experience, and grows too fast to fit the description. Probably not rostrata, since the spikiness would probably have been mentioned.

o

Thank you both. I did some research and it appears to be filamentosa. It has the little curly hairs and the spikes can grow up to 12 feet tall according to one source. Of course it bloomed while we were away on vacation, so I missed most of the flowers!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here