Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skoenlaper

Flowering maple hardiness

skoenlaper
17 years ago

I just received a beautiful flowering maple plant. I don't know anything about it. I was just wondering if it will survive the winters here. Last year we had an oleander, angel trumpets, and elephant ears to survive but we had a very mild winter. Does anyone have any flowering maples outdoors, overwintering in zone 6.

Comments (4)

• gardenguru1950
    17 years ago

Most Abutilons will suvive Zone 8 winters. A few "hardy" types take it in Zone 7.

I've never heard of one for Zone 6.

But if you grow it in a large container, you can simply roll it into the garage during the coldest nights and bring it out during the day.

I am totally surprised that your Brugmansia survived the winter (albeit "mild") in zone 6.

Joe

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I'm in Zone 7. I have yet to have any Abutilon, "hardy" or not, overwinter.

• gardenguru1950
    17 years ago

ljr:

Many of the hybrids that include Abutilon megapotamica are hardy to zone 7b.

Abutilon megapotamica, itself, is hardy to 7b and it's hybrids 'Bella Coral', 'Bella Salmon', 'Canary Bird', 'Huntington Pink', 'Kentish Belle' and 'Marion Stewart' are, as well.

Not many people grow these hybrids because the flowers are smaller than typical Abutilons and the plants aren't as upright.

Joe

Joe

• watergal
    17 years ago

My Abutilon 'Thompsonii' (not sure of spelling) is hardy into the mid-20's. It won't overwinter outdoors. It makes a decent pot plant over the winter if you watch for bugs.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor