Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mailorder source for Polianthes/'tuberose'?

Posted by polarbear Central America (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 04 at 15:54

Hi, anyone know where I can buy some plain ol' Mexican tuberose bulbs by mail? (Park's and Wayside had them listed in their 2004 catalogs, but they're not available on their websites; perhaps they're sold out or they think it's too late to plant them.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mailorder source for Polianthes/'tuberose'?

You're in luck. They usually have a minimum shipping but having a sale on shipping right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: PlantDelights

o

I believe Parks is done shipping them for the season.
I ordered tuberose and received them sprouted in the end of May.

o

• Posted by ashef coastal NC z8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 27, 04 at 23:18

Terra Ceia Farms here in North Carolina has the most reasonably priced ones I've seen.

Allie

o

The species of Polianthes usually grown in gardens is P. tuberosa (not the species listed by PDN, which I suspect isn't fragrant, the main point of growing tuberose for most of us). "Mexican" probably refers so "Single Mexican", or the species-type with single (rather than double) flowers. I have gotten them from McClure & Zimmerman (tiny bulbs) and Brent & Becky's Bulbs (much bigger bulbs). I have also seen them sold locally alongside other summer-blooming bulbs like cannas and gladiolus. Unfortunately it's probably too late in the growing season to purchase or plant tubers--even if you could find them they would probably be shriveled up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polianthes tuberosa from Brent & Becky's Bulbs

o

Buddy's Caladium Farm, and they do have a website. Much, much better prices than Plants Delight, and I will attest to the quality of these bulbs!

o

• Posted by Onion z9b Nor Cal (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 21, 04 at 15:54

Hi there,
There's an on-line company, Eflowergarden, that is incredible. I bought 20 tuberose bulbs for $5! They had both the double and single varieties. The plants are all healthy and happy and the company has incredible customer service. They shipped my bulbs before getting my check!

They have developed a new web page recently and don't currently list tuberose - you may have to wait til next season. But definitely check them out then, their prices and quality blow my mind.

~Onion

Here is a link that might be useful: eflowergarden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here