Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's eating my Elephant Ears?

Posted by Agostig (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 04 at 16:23

I'm growing elephant ears here in southern ontario and I keep finding holes in them, but I never find any bugs actually on them, aside from these tiny shiny flies sometimes.

I have cucumber beetles eating some other plants growing beside them, but I don't think they'd go for the elephant ears, would they?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's eating my Elephant Ears?

• Posted by metro z6/SW IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 2, 04 at 10:24

Slugs? They get mine sometimes, especially if I forget to renew my slug bait.

Bill

o

Do you have those horrible black and red grasshoppers up there? They can practically eat a plant a night. The best way to get rid of them is with a hammer.

o

This morning I found Japanese beetles feasting on my pot that I have beside the pool, they ended up doing the backstroke!

o

Alabama Jan we have those here aren't they the worst?
I have had an entire stand of Mickey Mouse eaten by DEER. I never knew they would eat elephant ears of any kind. They have left everything else alone, why they chose Mickey I haven't a clue

o

Doesn't everything eat elephant ears? They look good for a month or two, then get all chewed up from my experience.

o

My EEs do well all summer, but had a new experience happen with the black taro that is in a pot right beside it. The BT was failing, no matter what I did it would not thrive, tho the ones in the garden pond and in the ground 15 feet away were doing well. I finally decided to just pull the poor dead plants from the pot and let the rest of the plants take over. To my surprise the roots were totally gone! I have wave petunias, allysum and another foliage plant in that planter and they are all fine, only the taro was struggling.

Someone had mentioned earwigs eating roots, think it was Paul James on one of his shows. I have seen a lot of earwigs in the crevices of that plant, do you think they are the culprit? Why only that plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here