Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tetrapanax, Rice Paper Plant

Posted by Conroe_Joe 9a (conroejoe@aol.com) on
Fri, Jun 18, 04 at 17:16

Hi,

Can this plant tolerate wet conditions? It grows easily here near Houston, and gets big. I've got more room for it at the back of my lot, but that area gets quite wet in winter, sometimes covered with water for a few days.

I like the wet area for cattails, sedges, and water irises, but I wonder if rice paper plant needs better drainage.

Cordially,

Conroe Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tetrapanax, Rice Paper Plant

Best I can tell, it really likes wet conditions in the summer, but needs good drainage for winter survival here, 300 miles north of you-My first attempt, I planted them at grade and they never came back- 2nd attempt I dug in a lot of coarse sand to create a raised basin area and watered a lot in the summer, they came back this year and are about 10' tall now - we've been flooding since February-Selection from PDN- Hope this is helpful-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here