Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting Cordyline australis, How To?

Posted by Conroe_Joe 9a (conroejoe@aol.com) on
Wed, Jun 23, 04 at 17:33

Hi,

I've got a small plant in my front yard, about 3 ft. tall. It is sending up 4 or 5 shoots from the base. I'd like to cut them off and root them, but am not quite sure how to proceed.

Has anyone rooted suckers from C. australis? I'm guessing the thing to do is clear off the lower leaves, apply some rootone, and then try rooting it in sand under a mist system or in a greenhouse?

Let me know if you have the secret.

Conroe Joe
10 inches of rain so far in June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting Cordyline australis, How To?

• Posted by Toba z10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 2, 04 at 21:38

I've been told that they take a long time to root if you just stick the cuttings in dirt. However if you take a long cutting, remove the leaves and lay the cane down sideways in the dirt, they should root from the nodes quickly.

o
RE: Rooting Cordyline australis, How To?

You might try air-layering also. Although I've never tried it myself, I think a cordyline would respond well to this method as long as you have enough of a "stalk" on these shoots.

(I suspect you know this, but air layering is where you cut a notch into the trunk, wrap moist sphagnum moss around it and seal with plastic wrap and tape. After roots form, it can be cut off and planted on its own. You could get way better info on how to do this by doing a search for "air layering".)

Anyway, the advantage I see is that the plant is still being fed by its original root as it's developing its new ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here