Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loquats fruiting in Northern Virginia!

Posted by johnsaunt 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 20:50

I am so excited! I planted these from seed in 1995. They've bloomed every year, but never set fruit. This year I was especially careful to drag them into the garage when it got really cold and then drag them back out to the sunlight. My efforts paid off this year with delicious fruit! The %$~*^& squirrels ate a lot of them green, but apparently gave up before they ripened.
Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loquats fruiting in Northern Virginia!

In a pot anything is possible, but in the ground in our areas a Loquat may not have long enough of a growing season to set fruit.

o
RE: Loquats fruiting in Northern Virginia!

Loquat is probably hardy in the ground in your area, as it is rock hardy here in 7b NC. However the problem is that it flowers in late fall and the frost gets it. I have 3 large trees (10'-15') One of them set fruit 3 years ago, but only got 4 loquat fruit. Again this same tree fruited again but with many more, 20 or so. I have one tree that I grew from the fruit from 3 years ago, and it is about 3' tall now. I'm just wondering if it will fruit as well, or maybe even better. It will be interesting to see. I love Laquat, as it is tropical looking and evergreen, and never get to large.
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here