Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tropicals for north texas

Posted by texas_rooster zone 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 21:32

hello, i am a new wanna be gardener. i need advice for creating a tropical backyard. i really like ferns and boardleaf plants as well as some small trees. what i don't know is what to buy or where to look to find what i want. i would really like to create a backyard that reminds me of hawaii or close. thanks in advance for any suggestions and help in this area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tropicals for north texas

I would get cold hardy bananas like Musa Basjoo, hardy palms like sabal minor, needle palm and windmill palms (Trachycarpus Fortunei) to start. Hardy citrus like citrumelo or flying dragon would also be good for that look.

o

Cannas, Cast Iron Plant, and Elephant Ears are also a great start. They are easy to find and they aren't expensive.

o

I have seen Musa Balbisiana listed as hardy to zone 8. They grow well here in Phoenix.

o

Don't forget to add some hardy hibiscus to the mix. With dinnerplate size flat flowers they'll really be a tropical showstopper.

Good luck!!

o

http://tropicalesque.com/
There is one list at www.uncledsnursery.com
Also search 'tropicalesque gardening'.
Barbie

o

What part of TX are you in,?
Maybe I can help.

o

Go visit the Dallas Arboretum for ideas- They have tropical and subtropical things galore there.

Here is a link that might be useful: dallas arboretum

o

Hi rooster, I'm in denton Zone 7.I like bananas,large leaves and easy to grow.Pictures below.john

Here is a link that might be useful: bananas

o

davissue and john, the pictures you posted are stunning. I wish more people would post pictures of thier gardens or ideas for tropical landscaping. It is so much more interesting (and inspiring) to see groupings of plants rather than just one plant.

o

Hi gurley157fs,Thanks for the kind words.Good luck with your landscape.john

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here