Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener972

What is that philodendron? on the left up there?

Gardener972
18 years ago

When you click on Tropicalesque Gardens, what is that plant on the left in the picture at the top right with the big, split leaves? Is it a type of philodendron?

Comments (14)

• Las_Palmas_Norte
    18 years ago

Who knows...and if you wait for a solid reply on this (Tropicalesque forum), hell could freeze over. This is one of the slowest moving forums on Garden Web. I'd guess most topics are covered on other forums here.

Cheers, Barrie.

• poetrykt
    18 years ago

Yes it is a cut leave philodendron. I saw them bigger than that last week in Florida. I am in the DFW area. Where are you located? We might can get together on tropical ideas.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    18 years ago

Hell may freeze over now.
    It's a philodendron selloum.
    {{gwi:1302584}}

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm in far north Dallas. Would love to exchange tropical ideas! Did I read somewhere that someone put that plant in the ground in No. Tx. and it survived the winter? That's amazing!!

• steve_nc_7b
    18 years ago

Yes, that is Philodendron selloum. It comes back every spring for me here in z7b NC. Well drained soil and mulch over winter, some winters it even keeps some of it's trunk. A great plant that should be used more!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    18 years ago

If you protect it from frost by setting up some sort of temporary greenhouse it may not even lose it's leaves!

They get huge when they aren't restricted by a pot.

{{gwi:1302587}}

• tiareman
    18 years ago

Definitely a P. selloum-

not a hard plant to grow, it just wants humidity/moisture with its heat and sun. in DFW it should grow well.

Also check out P. Evansii, giganteum and speciosum for a similar look, but with a more rounded, less serrated leaf

• tropicsofcolorado
    16 years ago

how big do those get?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    16 years ago

In a pot, usually quite wide and not so tall. In the ground in warm climates or in very large planters, they develop trunks and can get quite tall.

• Gardener972
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Question about that selloum. What give one the BIG leaves: water or fertilizer? Mine has small leaves.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

gardener972, maybe it's not exactly the same plant? There are a LOT of Philos!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It's actually Philodendron bipinnatifidum, P. selloum isn't a correct name, although you'll still see references to it under that name. One of its common names is Tree Philodendron.

Another which can resemble it a bit but is much smaller is Philodendron Xanadu. If you have one of those and are waiting for it to get big then even when hell froze over it would still stay small.

• lou_texas
    11 years ago

Thanks, Steve in North Carolina! I haven't tried a philodendron in ground here in North Texas, but if yours comes back every spring in 7b, I'll try one in the gound in 8a. Lou

• aloyzius
    11 years ago

While the leaves will stay small, xanadus can get massive and pup out densely. I have a relative whose front yard has been completely taken over. I had to use my car to get one out of the ground. I divided it into five plants and put them in my front yard and now I'm hoping for the same problem. Ha!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County