Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is that philodendron? on the left up there?

Posted by Gardener972 7b-8a DFW (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 21:55

When you click on Tropicalesque Gardens, what is that plant on the left in the picture at the top right with the big, split leaves? Is it a type of philodendron?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is that philodendron? on the left up there?

Who knows...and if you wait for a solid reply on this (Tropicalesque forum), hell could freeze over. This is one of the slowest moving forums on Garden Web. I'd guess most topics are covered on other forums here.

Cheers, Barrie.

o

Yes it is a cut leave philodendron. I saw them bigger than that last week in Florida. I am in the DFW area. Where are you located? We might can get together on tropical ideas.

o

Hell may freeze over now.
It's a philodendron selloum.

o

I'm in far north Dallas. Would love to exchange tropical ideas! Did I read somewhere that someone put that plant in the ground in No. Tx. and it survived the winter? That's amazing!!

o

Yes, that is Philodendron selloum. It comes back every spring for me here in z7b NC. Well drained soil and mulch over winter, some winters it even keeps some of it's trunk. A great plant that should be used more!

o

If you protect it from frost by setting up some sort of temporary greenhouse it may not even lose it's leaves!

They get huge when they aren't restricted by a pot.

o

Definitely a P. selloum-

not a hard plant to grow, it just wants humidity/moisture with its heat and sun. in DFW it should grow well.

Also check out P. Evansii, giganteum and speciosum for a similar look, but with a more rounded, less serrated leaf

o

how big do those get?

o

In a pot, usually quite wide and not so tall. In the ground in warm climates or in very large planters, they develop trunks and can get quite tall.

o

Question about that selloum. What give one the BIG leaves: water or fertilizer? Mine has small leaves.

o

gardener972, maybe it's not exactly the same plant? There are a LOT of Philos!

o

It's actually Philodendron bipinnatifidum, P. selloum isn't a correct name, although you'll still see references to it under that name. One of its common names is Tree Philodendron.

Another which can resemble it a bit but is much smaller is Philodendron Xanadu. If you have one of those and are waiting for it to get big then even when hell froze over it would still stay small.

o

Thanks, Steve in North Carolina! I haven't tried a philodendron in ground here in North Texas, but if yours comes back every spring in 7b, I'll try one in the gound in 8a. Lou

o

While the leaves will stay small, xanadus can get massive and pup out densely. I have a relative whose front yard has been completely taken over. I had to use my car to get one out of the ground. I divided it into five plants and put them in my front yard and now I'm hoping for the same problem. Ha!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here