Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 1:09

The bigger Musa are in there 2nd year in my yard and some Musa and the one EnseteMusa Basjoo yr 2 photo DSC00316_zpsfc2416ab.jpg are new this year. Now the 1 st yr ones. Ensete Banana yr 1 photo DSC00317_zps033428b9.jpg You can't see the smaller Musa in these pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musa Basjoo, yr 2 for some and Ensete yr 1

My musa basjoo are about three years old now. They made tiny bananas for the first time this year, They are about two inches long.

The plants themselves are amazing, they've gotten to 15+ feet tall for the last few years by the end of summer.

I love them!

o

Mine are yr 2 for the green Musas. They are now about 8-9 ft, but no fruiting for me. The Ensete is now about 5 ft tall, approx. As I already posted in another post, you can probably grow the fruiting bananas you KNOW you can eat in a giant pot and take indoors to ripen, if it gets too cold before they are ready. If you have a protection source, sunroom, small greenhouse, sunny window. They grow them at a giant greenhouse in Pittsburgh. Only a few though. Phipps conservatory is wherte I saw them with fruit. I wish I cold build a greenhouse like that.

o

Actually I do have a dwarf musa cavendish that I have planted in the ground next to my musa basjoos. I bought the cavendish last year and kept it indoors all winter.
I still haven't decided whether to dig it up in late fall or to try to protect it in the ground.

o

Crispy, you are lucky, being zone 8. I bet you could get some nanners before you get the worst of winter in your area. If I didn't have a family, and land (home) here in Pa I would try out Georgia or some other zone 7 or 8 area.

o

The nanners I got on some of my basjoos this year turned yellow so I opened some up.
Strange looking on the inside- like three tubes of clear stuff like jello and some little spots (undeveloped seeds?)

I like it here where I am, there is a nice mix of things I can grow, while not having to endure too much in weather extremes.

o

You are lucky Crispy. I love my yard and all my trees in it, but you do have more possibilities in zone 8. I have actually found a live oak hybrid that can and has stood the temps in zone 6, so far, so I am less jealous as long as they can stand zone 6. They are more hardy than the usual zone 7-8 Quercus Virginiana Live oaks, of the Old South. If I never had success of growing 3 or 4 of these from spring 2012 to summer 2013, I would have to admit ultra jealousness to any zone 8 people onb here.

o

I do like it here in 8- its not too cold, and not too hot.
I've lived in zone 9 and higher from time to time, but the intense heat in the summer and lack of distinct seasons is not enjoyable to me.

o

I have got to visit Florida (mainland and the Keys) There's a lot to be said for warm winters, but, I think if I could get a giant heated greenhouse, that would help me a lot! I need to play the lottery and hit the jackpot, then I can have my giant conservatory. It would cure the winter blues. Sorry for rambling, I have a decent place to over-winter some houseplants and tropical. A south-facing basement door, that is clear-window on top. I can also store a marginally hardy windmill palm. Maybe I the greenhouse un til the worst of winter.

o

This is some of mine in their third year. How deep are yours planted?
Chris

o

Chrisware- not sure who you were asking, but mine are planted right up to the base of the pseudostems , with the rootballs underground. In the winter I pile some leaves up around the base of my banana plantings and that is about all.

When I first got them, in late fall I built tee-pees or tents out of plastic sheeting and bamboo poles, and filled the bottom half with leaves. Then I realized how ridiculously hardy they are and the last few years I've protected them less and less.

o

Chrisware and Crispy mine were shallowly planted I guess, even with the topsoil. Mine are thickly in a grove, with 1 Musa on the side and an Ensete on the right. The Ensete is purple and zone 8 hardy. I am glad you're zone 5 and they are okay chrisware, unless your's never overwintered yet. I have a friend in zone 5 that wants a division of Musa. Here's mine. My dog for scale he's as big as a Saint Bernard, he's a Newfoundland/ Labrador mix. ooffie and the banana plants photo DSC00327_zps3d4b9b18.jpg

o

Sorry chrisware, your's HAVE overwintered (3 years) I missed it at first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here