Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clerodendrum Ugandense

Posted by eponacapaill 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 7:38

I just purchased 2 clerodendrum ugandense without checking the tags on them, I have a habit of being wowed by beauty but not checking the tags. My questions are how does one prune these? Do they bloom on new wood or old wood? Is it likely or unlikely to come back if I plant it in the ground? I am in zone 7 (Maryland)

Thank You!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clerodendrum Ugandense

I found the information that I was looking for, I am going to return one of the plants and exchange it for something more hardy for this area and plant the other in a pot and keep it pruned. :-)

o

Hi there! Are you about ready to cut back that Cleo? Wanna trade for something I have? Email me roxxanne@comcast.net

o

I just purchased a clerodendrum ugandense today and I watered it when I got home and put it in a partly shaded area in my back yard. The next thing I see is some of the leaves are turning brown and dying. Did it get too much sun or is it just too hot here in Florida for it? Please help...........

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 1:26

They do bloom on current season growth and are perfectly Hardy in full hot summer weather, and fully root hardy to cold in USDA zone 8b conditions that have hotter summers, and less likely to survive winters in the PNW's zone 8 conditions. They can be a bit slow to get blooming in cooler summer climates like my own, most shrubs here in Berkeley are just now getting into full bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here