Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropicals on Long Island

Posted by Johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 04 at 9:24

While attending a plant society convention on Long Island, NY last week my group was treated to a tour of Landcraft Environments, a wholesale nursery that supplies tropicals and other exotic plants. One of the owners, Dennis Schrader, is also the coauthor of the book "Hot Plants for Cool Climates". The nursery property (which I think is also the owners' home) was very nicely planted with a variety of tropical and subtropical plants. Many of the plants in the ground are overwintered in greenhouses. It must be a huge amount of work to plant everything out in the spring, then dig it up in the fall! I've put a bunch of photos in my photo album (link to slideshow below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Slide show

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropicals on Long Island

Thanks for sharing the pics Johnnie!

Can you tell me what is in #11?

Jody

o
RE: Tropicals on Long Island

Pictures can in no way describe the magnificance of this property. it is closed to the public except for their clients. But on 7/25 they lend their place to a benefit for the East End Arts Council which was open to the public. OH MY GOD!!!!! what a place! Not only do they have incredible specimen plants, but the design of the gardens is absolutely unique. Both owners were once interior designers, and you can tell. Everything is designed with so much good taste. The perfect balance between formality and chaos. Color combinations are bod and subtle... I could go on and on. I'll try and load the pictures I took the other day. I actually went on this site to post that anyone on LI (or the Ny metropolitan area) who is really interested in tropicals missed out on a great opportunity if they were not there on Sunday. Keep an eye out for this event next year.
http://eastendarts.org/events/index.html
go to secret garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://eastendarts.org/events/index.html

o
pics

Here are my pics. Again they don't do justice to the place.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://photos.yahoo.com/tropicalesqueonli

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here