Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo...or what?

Posted by najoba 8b (najoba@hotmail.com) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 9:42

When we were in San Antonio TX at the Riverwalk, I saw a large plant that was growing in segments around 8-10" in length, like bamboo. The segments were green. But the leaves were big and round, looking nothing like any bamboo I've ever seen. Since it does get cold enough for freezing weather in that area, it must be able enough to survive cold temperatures.

It was a very pretty plant, and you really didn't see the bamboo-like segments unless you looked closely, as the big leaves prevented that, except on close inspection.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of plant that could be?

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo...or what?

Did you take a pic? There are many kinds of bamboo but I don't think any has round leaves. Kind of sounds like Optunia cactus but I think you would have mentioned thorns. Maybe it was something like Canna, banana, bird-of-paradise plant?

o
RE: Bamboo...or what?

• Posted by edie_h 5aNY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 20:35

Could it have been Japanese knotweed? Do a search for photos of Fallopia japonica or Polygonum cuspidatum (synonyms) and see if that looks familiar. You do not want it. Even up here it is invasive and threatens native ecosystems.
There's a big clump of the stuff in the backyard of my new apartment. The landlord referred to it as "bamboo."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here