Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_virginian

My Tropicalesque Garden this year-LINK

the_virginian
17 years ago

Here is what I have done so far in my garden this year. Some of my neighbors don't like it because they think these plants don't belong in Northern Virginia. One lady even had the gaul to tell my wife she thinks her house isn't selling because of it. You be the judge...turn up your speakers and tell me what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panama John's Tropical Zone

Comments (16)

• jayferg
    17 years ago

Great show! Your yard looks wonderful!

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

Unless your neighbors all have strictly Northern Virginia native plants, theirs don't 'belong' there either.

Your plantings are lovely. Thank you for the show.

• ld14051
    17 years ago

Awesome! I'd love plantings like that arund my pool but I'm a little colder so most of those wouldn't make it here.
    And I really don't inderstand how that would be a problem for your neighbor selling their house. I'd love to live next door to you! Then you could share your plants!

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    17 years ago

1d4041:

Actually if you are in Zone 6, there is quite a bit that will make it. The Musa Basjoo (Japanese Snow Banana)and the Sabal Minor and Needle Palms should be fine. The Eucaluptus is marginal, even for me, but it might make it as there are folks in Zone 6 having success. The Trachycarpus palms are just barely hardy in my area, but you could have them too if you were willing to protect them. What kind of Tropicalesque plantings were you considering for the pool area?

• ld14051
    17 years ago

I thought I'd try the Musa Basjoo next year-or possibly start it indoors this year and put it out next. I only have about 18 inches between the walk around the pool and the fence so I was thinking about smaller fan type palms.

I just discovered Crocosmia at a nursery today and plan on trying those; not a palm but they have a tropical feel about them. Maybe some grasses.
    I looked up some info about needle palms on the internet and most say z6 is pushing it, but doable. I was wondering is wraping plants in layers of bubble wrap would be a good way to protect them? The frostline here is about 38" but I was thinking if I plant it near the pool on the other side of the fence it might be warmer as the pool doesn't freeze all 9 feet down. Just a thought.

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Do you get below -10 to -20F very often or for long periods? In zone 6 NY I doubt it and BOTH the Sabal Minor and Needle Palms should be fine. I don't think you will need to protect them, but if you do, use a product called FROST CLOTH as it will insulate and allow gasses and water to breath to and from the palnt. Bubble wrap is a bad idea as it will trap moisture. Keep it in sun and with a fence to help break the north wind it should do well. Unless you want to plant soon, it might be better to wait until spring. Needle Palms are even growing in some Zone 5 gardens with little or no protection. Sabal Minor is safe in Zone 6, no problem.

• ld14051
    17 years ago

Thanks! I saw sable palm at Lowes a couple of days ago, but I don't think they were Sable Minor. They looked pretty healthy.
    Where do you buy your palms? I would need an online source.I think it would be fun to try and grow a few.

It almost never gets that cold, but stretches of temps between 0 and 15 are not uncommon. There is usually a blanket of snow though-Buffalo you know! The lake brings all the snow but it keeps us a little warmer in winter, cooler in summer.

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Big Box stores are not usually the best place to go for palms, but sometimes you never know, they may have hardy ones. The best online place IMHO is Chilly Palm Tree in SC. (Google Search for website) They ship nice sized plants with the root ball, but they are not the cheapest. I think it is well worth the money since the palms have the best chance at survival.

• ld14051
    17 years ago

Nice website, thank you for sharing. The needle palm looks like my best bet, but I am gong to try 2 sabal minors as well. I'll keep you posted as to my success(or other!).

• DISSmith
    17 years ago

Great stuff! Ignore the neighbors!
    What is the banana looking one with the red leaves?

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dissmith:

Those are Red Abysinian Bananas and are not really hardy in my area, they might be in yours with mulch. Thanks for the kudos and a new Version 2.0 will be out in September with the Spanish Moss I added in the front and back.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Your neighbors are nutz!

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    17 years ago

buyorsell888:
    Thanks very much for the support and as I have discovered, there are many more folks on my block that like it, Spanish Moss and all.

• ld14051
    17 years ago

SPANISH MOSS!! I love Spanish Moss! Do you have the real stuff or the dried? I was very tempted to take some home on a trip to Louisiana once, but was warned they are loaded with gnats and other tiny bugs and would have only been good for that summer. Nothing is better looking to me than an old Cypress tree with big knees dripping in Spanish Moss. Can't wait to see your new pictures!

• IdaClaire
    17 years ago

Just gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing. Your photos just made my day!

• the_virginian
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Spanish Moss is alive and I got 20lbs for about $50.00 delivered. I am the talk of the neighborhood right now and I have seen people drive by slowly with their kids in the back, just to look at it. Photos are being taken right now and the new presentation should be great. Really glad you all or y'all in the DEEP SOUTH would say.

Sponsored