Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
July garden photos

Posted by Johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 14:27

Went out a couple of days ago and took some photos. Here is my Musa basjoo:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's only about 6 feet tall so far, but it died all the way back and got off to a late start and has put out all this growth, from the ground up, in about 6 weeks. Here's a closeup of the Spigelia marilandica growing next to it:

Here is a Kniphofia hybrid, which is much brighter in person than it appears in this rather washed-out photo:

And finally a palm, one of my waggies (growing with Zantedeschia 'Whipped Cream'):

Here's a closer view of the waggie, which is now 5 years old from seed, in its fourth growing season in the ground, and has survived 3 winters with minimal protection:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: July garden photos

Very nice! I love that spigelia marilandica! Tell more about that! Also, you mentioned a "waggie," what's that? What's the heart shapped plant with the spotted leaves?

o

very neat. I hadn't thought of putting my spigelia in the tropical garden, and it stopped blooming a couple weeks ago even though I am north of you. Course I got it from Mississippi.

My M. basjoo is in the ground now - I got it last year only six inches high and wintered inside - it is putting out a little pup. Maybe in a couple years I'll have that grove effect. What have you got growing behind the banana?

o

Is the third picture what we call Red Hot Polka. It looks the same. Also where did you get the Musa basjoo. I would love to have it in my yard.

o

Gardener972, I think Johnnieb's 'waggies' are Trachycarpus wagnerianus, the young palm in his pics.

I must say that, in my opinion, folksy nicknames like this are often an obstacle to effective communication. On the other hand, some like to use them to give a more friendly, informal tone to their postings.

o

Yes, the "waggies" are Trachycarpus wagnerianus. Sorry about that. And Kniphofia is simply the botanical name for "red hot poker".

Behind the banana is simply "redtip" Photinia, growing as a semi-hedge to screen the property next door. I'm not especially fond of this plant but it's evergreen, has decent folaige and is tough as nails, and helps give me a little bit of privacy. My yard is actually quite small, and ends about 2 feet behind the banana.

Meanwhile here's another photo, this time of a daylily. This is 'Kindly Light', a spider-flowered daylily, and I find that this kind is especially well suited to a tropical-style garden. In fact at first glance you might not even recognize it as a daylily.

o

Beautiful!! Loved them all. :)

Leona

o

nice!
thx for sharing:)

karen

o

some from CT ..

pavonia .. non stp bloom all summer then in the greenhouse for winter ..

summer flower bed color

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here