Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Lanscape Design vs. Succulent Seascape??

Posted by jessejamespsyd USA 10/Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 15:55

We live in San Diego, CA and moved into a home that has been beautifully landscaped with a tropical pool/landscape theme. We want to keep this and add to it. However, there is a center island which currently holds 4 king palms -- all other plants/flowers died shortly after we moved in.

I am now trying to decide whether to replant something to match the tropical theme or go in a different but similar direction to pull in the pool (and my love of the ocean). I was inspired after finding a Sunset Magazine article on Jeff Moore's Succulent Seascapes Garden(7/05). To see, go to: http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/article/0,20633,1065042,00.html

I'm a newie w/o much knowledge of design or what would work well togeter. I wanted to see what others thought would look best. Thanks!!! Jesse

Photo link to the island area I've discussed above:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/Jessejamespsyd/IslandLandscape002.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/Jessejamespsyd/IslandLandscape003.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Lanscape Design vs. Succulent Seascape??

The big questions are,
Why did all the existing tropicals die?
How much effort are you willing to put forth to keep this garden going?

If you google for 'Solana Succulents' you'll find many links with more photos of the work of Jeff Moore. The Philadelphia Show Garden is a good place to start.

The Garden Junk forum here may be able to help you with the underwater theme trinkets if you ask a question about showing 'Aquarium Gardens' which is not about underwater gardening, but making garden displays that resemble Ocean Scenes complete with those little accoutrements similar to those that make Moore's displays so colorful and fun. Unless, of course, money is not an issue and you can just go to Solana and buy out the store.

Nell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here