Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bari_sax

Looking for 8-15' tall, 2' wide plant for north side

bari_sax
18 years ago

I have a strip of ground between the north side of our house and our shared driveway in which I'd like to place a row of tall, tropicalesque plants. The strip is about 2' wide, 20' long, and I don't want the plants to either droop too much into the driveway or brush too heavily against the house. But I *do* want them to grow vertically so as to add some privacy and visual interest to the windows on that side of the house. For this they would have to be at least 8' high, and they could probably get to 15' or more before hitting the eaves.

I was originally thinking of putting bamboo here (like arrow or square) with half circles of rhizome barrier at either end (the center section is bounded by the asphalt of the driveway on one side, and a 2+ foot foundation on the other). However, I'm still somewhat hesitant to go this route because there are water & gas pipes down there which the bamboo might follow to get through the barrier. I suppose a vertical clumper might do OK, but I am still loathe to have a bamboo shoot find a crack in the foundation and come up through the hardwood floor!

Not surprisingly, this side of the house only gets a bit of sun in the morning, so whatever goes here would have to be happy in a mainly shady environment. But being right against the house, I suppose it will stay a few degrees warmer during the winter.

Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Tell more. Does it have open shade? Is it exposed to the sky or are their overhanging trees? Dry or moist soil. Soil type.

Two feet is pretty narrow for something to get 8 feet high without hanging over or brushing up against the house.

I see you are zone 9. You could put posts in the ground wrapped in coconut fiber or something and grow philodendrons up those for a tropical look. Heck, zone 9 you can grow just about anything tropical. Are you looking for large leaves?

• bari_sax
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is exposed to the sky (i.e. there is no significant overhang of the roof or other plants).

Soil is the typical clay soil of the mid-Peninsula. I use drippers, so it can stay pretty moist as needed.

I wasn't thinking of a climber per se, but I suppose a philodendron might work. We have a philodendrom selloum in our backyard that's done well (on the north side of the south fence), and also some monstera deliciosa that do all right. How fast do these two species climb? I assume they'd need to be attached directly to the post, and not just climb the house or steel wiring.

Any other ideas out there? Perhaps there is a shade-friendly banana? Maybe Darjeeling (Musa sikkimensis) or Rajapuri (Musa acuminata)? I could always cut the leaves that run into the wall.

• braspadya
    18 years ago

What about Dieffenbachia? They will definitely take the deep shade that you mention. I'm not sure that they will get 8' tall, but I bet they would easily reach 5 or 6 foot. They should be relatively upright.

Hope that this helps,

Dan

• MacDaddy
    18 years ago

Heliconia Bihai (Nappi Yellow) take 80% shade and gets 12' to 15'. I've never grown these but they look fairly upright. You will have to ask someone else about them. They are hardy zone 9 and they have different sized species. Perhaps of different habits too.
    Heliconias
    Try this person to ask about their habit if you don't want it hanging in the sidewalk.

• lezard
    18 years ago

Try arundo donax variegata it's wonderful. In one summer it grow ten feet. I live in zone 4 QUEBEC CANADA.

Can you imagine in your country. Look the picture of mine.

• User
    15 years ago

quoting:
    What about Dieffenbachia? They will definitely take the deep shade that you mention. I'm not sure that they will get 8' tall, but I bet they would easily reach 5 or 6 foot. They should be relatively upright.
    Hope that this helps,

Dan

Oh, you betcha, dieffenbachia gets 8' tall! I had two in big pots in my house, and they reached the ceiling quite easily. If it is well fertilized the stems will be fat and strong, but otherwise they will tend to be skinny, which could make it fall over.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Look up Euonymous 'Greenspire' and see if it works in your region. They grow slowly, but gradually up to maybe 8 to 10'. I'm sure there are many more 'fastigiate' type plants that would work in your zone. Check out your local nursery.

• doooglas
    14 years ago

Try this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heliconia Sexy Pink

Sponsored