Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do Lantana do in the DC suburbs?

Posted by philipw2 7 MD/DC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 23:11

I know they will survive most winters, but will they get full enough to become points of interest.

I planted two hardy lantana in the Maryland suburbs. They get morning light. Although they are covered with typical lantan flowers, they remain so small and scrawny.

I assumed that they'd be like small hydrangea: healthy little plants with flowers. Despite the flowers, they seem quite weedy and scrawny.

Is this what lantana is like around here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do Lantana do in the DC suburbs?

Do you have a pic? A shrub can take a few years to establish. Sounds like you put them in last year? Morning light only is not enough for Lantana to be all it can be.

These below usually die to the ground in winter, get 6+ feet tall every year but the season is a little longer here. Not necessarily an attractively-formed plant unless manicured to be such. These haven't been touched for a couple years. I wouldn't put many, if any, in a front yard, for aesthetic reasons, and because the city sprays for mosquitoes. Since they are constantly covered with butterflies and humming birds, that would not be good. Hopefully the spray doesn't get back to where these shrubs are much, if at all. Sure doesn't kill the mosquitoes either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here