Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4

Posted by arctictropical Z4 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 0:05

This year has been awesome! With lots of heat, water and nitrogen, my ensete bananas are growing like weeds! Can't wait to see how big they get by the end of the season. My son is in the picture. He is 6 feet tall.

photo IMG_0111_zpsbb5cfc33.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pic of gigantic outdoor ensete bananas, zone 4

Your yard is looking as awesome as always! Still trying to get my Ensete to grow to half the size of yours.
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

o

Where are you located, and what do you do with them in winter?

Photobucket

o

Thanks, Alex. Bill, I'm in northern Utah near Logan. After a killing frost (usually about the end of September or first week in October if I'm lucky) I chop them off to a 4-6' stump, dig them up and repot them in 15 gallon nursery pots, and stick them in an unlit unheated basement room. They eventually go dormant and stay dormant until Spring. I only water them once during winter. They retain their water quite well. Once I bring them out into the light and heat, they start growing again. Then I repot them out into my yard in May. I've done this for at least 10 years. It works every year! And they get bigger every year. What awesome plants! They love lots of water and fertilizer. I give them plain old ammonium sulfate and milorganite.

o

I've planted one, in spring. It is only about 4 ft so far. There isn't much more time for it to get a lot bigger. Has anyone mulched a lot and wrapped with burlap or some other cloth, or porotected and didn't dig up the purple ensete banana? I must add did you succeed with this in zone 6 or colder?

o

Woww!!! love itt

o

I guess I will have to uproot it, it is supposed to be zone 8 hardy, my zone 6 will kill it.

o

Poaky, I am in zone 6 Illinois Have been covering our banana clump for the last 4 years. First we cut them back to 3' slip insulation around them loosely enclose all with fence taller than the bananas. Continue adding insulation. tarp it. Works for Us. Paula

o

Paulah-gardener, Are the bananas you cover Musa basjoo? Or are they Ensete or other zone 8 ish nanners? i can grow musa Basjoo easily in zone 6 Pa. If you are growing Ensete or other zone 7 or 8 hardy bananas without digging them up, I am interested. Sorry, but the Musa Basjoo are easily grown in zone 6 with no protection. So come on, Ensete banana growers, who have protected them (zone 8) in the ground, tell me how you protected them over harsh winter low temperatures.

o

Okay, So, Paulah-gardener, maybe you mean the Ensete? I guess you haven't seen this question? I love the no dig option.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here