Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbrown258

Bird of Paradise (yellow/Orange) HELP!!

BBrown258
9 years ago

so I have had this plant for like 6 months bought it from a store. Everything seemed like it was happy even grew a new leaf in the time I have owned it yet recently something has changed the leaves are curling like major and the smaller leaves are discoloring and dying Ive lost 2 leaves so far and working on a third....please help me save this!

any help would be good

Comments (8)

• palmgal
    9 years ago

Sometimes mines loses leaves and curls up when a new leaf starts to emerge, it may be drawing energy from the old leaves to create a new one.

• bill_ri_z6b
    9 years ago

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the pot may be a little small. These plants have hefty root systems, and if it's trying to put out new growth, it may well need some room in a bigger pot. If not, it might sacrifice the older leaves to minimize the strain on the roots. I have three in pots, and two bloom every summer, but the pots are about 5 gallon nursery pot size. The third one is still small but will probably bloom next summer when I put them all outdoors again.

• Central_Cali369
    9 years ago

I realize you posted this a while ago. That looks like Strelitzia nicolai, not the orange & blue strelitzia reginae, so I wouldn't expect blooms on that for several years, possibly 10 or more if it's potted. These plants are grown outdoors here in my zone, but there are people who keep them as houseplants in dark rooms, where they tend to start loosing leaves and eventually die. You may need to put it in the sunniest location you have. I wouldn't worry too much about root size, as these seem to take very well to being root bound.

• Mike Woods
    9 years ago

This is definitely a Strelitzia Nicolia (the giant bird) What you need is a Strelitzia Reginae. It does look like this is pot-bound - or could be a bit dry...

• jhl1654
    9 years ago

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I am a newbie with B.O.P. but mine is doing the same with top leaves. Mine is indoors by a south facing window in the cold months. I am expecting new leaves this spring/summer. I just recently visited a big greenhouse near Greensburg Pa . They had orange trees with oranges on them, and tender Ensete banana trees, Cukes grown verticly with little cukes on them, also big palms. I would just LOVE to have a nice big heated in winter greenhouse and have even a quarter of the tropical plants they had in their greenhouse. I need to play the lottery more often. Well, when I do I never win, maybe Grover Cleveland can give me some money (new lottery game) Moma needs a conservatory, or big greenhouse. Poaky1

• poaky1
    8 years ago

Can you guess which B.O. P. I have by just looking at it? Excuse my post above, I know the lottery is not going to help me, I was joking. But, I would like to get a pic tommorrow, just to see if someone can tell me which B.O.P. I have. I now just have it potted in a raised bed (potted) for a bit of tropical flair. I overwinter it in my basement in front of a south facing window. Is there a way I can tell myself which one I have?

• poaky1
    8 years ago

If anyone cares to know what I have, I hope I can remember to take a pic of mine tommorrow. Poaky1

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH