Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White flies and aphids on my Elephant ears!!

Posted by greenpassion z4-z5 VT (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 9:17

I have been growing EE's in pots on my deck for several summers now. Recently I discovered one of them has aphids and white flies. I see no real damage, and am assuming it's because of the thickness of the leaves, but I want to get rid of them anyway. I have used Agway fruit tree spray for any and all diseases on my plants for years and it works wonderfully-cures just about anything. But will it hurt these plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White flies and aphids on my Elephant ears!!

Any insecticide will work. Also, move the pots to an area where there is more wind.

o
RE: White flies and aphids on my Elephant ears!!

I have used an old tried and true method for dealing with both white fly and aphids on about every plant you can think of. Al I do is take a spray bottle and add equal parts water and rubbing alcohol - adding a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid (NOT antibacterial). Spray away being sure to get the spray into all the cracks and crevasses. I have even gone so far as to give a plant a swift kick and spray into the air above it and the white flies drop like .... well ... flies. I don't use insecticides. This has worked for years. Usually I only get bugs on things when I have brought in new plants to my garden. If I also spray down the surface of the soil in flower pots, add an inch of sand and then spray down again I usually don't see any more bugs.again. Hope this helps.
Cheers from Kalamazoo MI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here