Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huge bird-of-paradise related plant

Posted by vetbridge 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 12:36

My gf has had a huge (over 10 feet tall) plant that she keeps in her sun room. She has had it for about ten years. It was used in a photo shoot, and afterwords was going to be discarded. She took it home.

She was told it was related to the bird of paradise. It has huge leaves and has never flowered. I could post a pic if that would help.

The current problem is that it is producing many new leaves, but they are not unfurling. This has never happened before. Prior to this year, new leaves would emerge and unfurl without problems. This year, we are considering wearing goggles to protect our eyes from the rolled up leaves.

Deficiency? Root bound?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huge bird-of-paradise related plant

Here is a picture (not actual plant, but it looks just like it)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird of Paradise Tree

o

Hmmm... might be a Heliconia of some kind, but my guess would be the white bird of paradise, Strelitzia nicolae, which is commonly sold as a foliage plant. It's a close relative of the typical bird of paradise but grows much bigger, the flowers are not nearly as showy, and it will rarely bloom indoors.

As for what's wrong with it, sorry but I have no clue.

o

Strelitzias often roll their leaves if they don't get enough water to help prevent water loss. They also do it when they are overwatered.

o

Thanks for the info! Humidity (too low) seems to be the likely culprit.

o

Having a second look at the photo, I would have to agree that the plant is extremely rootbound--that pot is much too small for a plant that size. Get that poor thing into a larger pot!

o

" but they are not unfurling."

Is this a case of each new furl becoming entrapped in the previous furl? Cut it off and the next time it happens, manually unroll the furl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicalesque Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here