Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhizophora_gw

Monstera Outside in UK

rhizophora
15 years ago

Hi,

I have noticed a few people in the UK trying monstera outside successfully. Anyone here have any experience with them(outside)? Photos would be great!

Thanks

James

Comments (12)

• ornata
    15 years ago

Whereabouts are you? We left a large, potted Monstera outside on our patio a couple of winters ago and it died. (I'm in Streatham, south London.)

• User
    15 years ago

I'm a long way from the UK, but I have two monsteras outside as they are much too big for me to move now. They spent the last two winters outdoors. When temps went down to below freezing, I covered them with old blankets and a waterproof tarp over that. I weighted it down with bricks in a few places because wind tended to catch the covers.

Here is a photo taken in April 2008. We live in Mobile Alabama.

{{gwi:1302553}}

• ornata
    15 years ago

They look great. I might be tempted to try again (for some reason we have three potted Monstera deliciosa that we don't really have room for indoors), but this time plant one out and also give it winter protection as you've done.

• rhizophora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I live in SW Devon. Those plants look like Philodendron selloum. I put my potted monstera outside today, but we've had horrible weather, with lows down to around 13C (55F) so I'm worried it might be a little damaged.
    Good luck
    James

• jaxtropix
    15 years ago

Though that is philodendron selloum, I have noticed that here in north florida the leaves die back in freezes but come back just like elephant ears or bananas. If you do try these outside, put it in the most protected spot you have and mulch the stems in winter.

• Central_Cali369
    15 years ago

I have monstera deliciosa outside in zone 9 in California. They do fine against a south-facing wall, and they've gone through two winters undamaged. They could benefit from a little less direct sunlight though since i think it stunts their growth.

• User
    15 years ago

I beg your pardon for misspeaking. They are the big philodendron, not the monstera deliciosa.

However, now I DO have two of the monstera babies, in small pots, and it is like having a sea monster breaking up a ship! They are coming OUT of those tiny pots, and they are just BABIES. I cannot wait to see what they do this spring and summer outdoors. I will of course do all in my power to protect them if they get too big to take in, even if it means I have to deploy my 28' parachute over the whole roofless garage/greenhouse. As CeentralCali369 commented, I will try to keep them out of direct sunlight, a lot harder now that we've just removed 6 trees over 100' tall from our property.

• rhizophora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good luck with your Monstera! We had the coldest winter in 21 years and the plant was turned to brown mush. The base and roots are still firm so my fingers are crossed.

• User
    15 years ago

While Iwill leave the monstera twins outdoors this summer, I have them in fairly large-but-manageable pots to make it easier to bring them indoors when it gets cold. By the time they get HUGE, we plan to have the derelict garage turned into a suitable greenhouse for the monstera and other tropical beauties.

• rhizophora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That sounds interesting! Wish I had room for a greenhouse...

• doooglas
    14 years ago

Not Monstera and not Selloum.
    That would be philo. radiatum.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jaxtropix
    14 years ago

To be more specific than my previous post, I planted monstera deliciosa out in the back of my zone 9a garden and I mulched the creeping stems. Though it was in a moist spot and temps reached unusual lows of 22 degrees fahrenheit (I don't know the celcius conversion) it is now looking lush as if nothing ever happened. You might try experimenting with either mulching the plants in winter in a protected spot or interplanting with a low growing evergreen perennial or shrub such as boxwood. The boxwood would protect the monstera and the leaves could still reach out of the bush for sunlight. I'm going to try this method in my courtyard patio where it would be more visible.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living